Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Light as Air Banana Muffins

Banana bread is a classic way to use overripe bananas.  I've always enjoyed my mother's classic banana bread recipe. As a change of pace though, sometimes I like to make banana walnut muffins.  These are an especially good option if you have trouble getting your banana bread cooked thoroughly.  Some people like that little gooey center at the top of banana bread but, frankly, I find it kind of disconcerting.  Muffins solve that problem beautifully.  This recipe makes a light muffin that is soft without being gooey.



Banana Walnut Muffins


2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (I use three bananas)
3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

In large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Add mashed bananas and beat until well combined.

Lightly stir dry ingredients into butter mixture, just until flour disappears.  Lightly stir in nuts.

Spoon batter into muffin cups to the top.  Bake 20-25 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.


The real key to this recipe is to be very light when you stir in the flour and nuts.  Do NOT beat it in.  A light touch will assure a lighter muffin.  As a side note, you can use pecans in this recipe instead of walnuts if you prefer.







19 comments:

  1. Oooooh banana muffins are my favorite! Or cupcakes or pound cake. I'm not picky when it comes to banana. Great pics too! I love seeing those muffins big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crazy about the navy linens. They just pop right off the page...and the muffins don't look bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really tempting! They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look yummy! Gosh I wish I didn't have to watch my weight!! Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those muffins do look very yummy and I'm sure they'd be terrific for breakfast, straight from the oven with some lovely melted butter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Banana bread is one of my favorites, but you're so right! A gooey center is NOT good. Muffins are a great idea. And no slicing (I always end up with crazy uneven pieces). I usually can't help myself and I add chocolate chips...

    An Unrefined Vegan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a muffin junkie and banana muffins are my favorites. I'm going to have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow your photos just make the banana muffins more yummy. Such pretty display.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These muffins look so delicious.. it's almost like they're calling me to make them on a Sunday morning so i can eat throughout the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy. My 87 year old mother loves to bake muffins and I coincidentally love to eat muffins. These are definitely a win-win situation for me. Consider them printed out and place in a strategic spot for her to see.
    :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummmmm! I have not made Banana bread in a long time. I really need to try this recipe now because I have a big craving for some --- right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I swear I can almost smell them cooking! So yummy! I love banana bread too, but I practically burn it because I don't want salmonella from goo that didn't cook. I will definitely try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the setting of the last picture so beautiful! Sorry for all the trouble with the new domain i sent all my followers a notifitication but i guess it didnt work. I will have leave the new address in a comment so they can update. I had no choice but to do it. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm, I just had two slices of delicious banana/walnut bread this morning. I could go for more right now... ;) I don't like the gooey center either, but I prefer the bread. So, I've perfected my recipe after much trial and error! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow,
    These muffins look so moist, soft and bursting with flavor with the banans and a nice crunch from the walnuts. Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog is very beautiful! I love any excuse to have walnuts, and a combination of banana and walnuts sounds delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love banana nut bread, and these muffins look the best. Actually they're probably a bit more practical for me and would prevent me from eating the entire loaf myself. And easier to freeze too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.