Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Big Stuff on the Road South


Recently, I made a quick trip down to Tennessee for my father’s birthday.  It’s not a very scenic drive, as much of it passes through Illinois farm fields, but there are a few interesting sights along the way.  For example, for the last eleven years, I have driven past an enormous cross which stands right at the side of Interstate 57.  The cross was built in 2001.  It rises 198 feet.  I’m not particularly religious, but the cross is an impressive sight when the sun is shining on the surface, especially for drivers heading north on I-57, as the cross suddenly appears to drivers after they round a curve.

in Effingham, Illinois

On Illinois’ southern border, in Metropolis, there is another tall monument, right in the center of town.  This is one super statue – a fifteen-foot tall painted bronze replica of the man of steel.  I hadn't been to see the statue for a long time.  He doesn't look as tall when there are no little kids standing next to him!  According to the Metropolis tourism website, this statue replaces a seven-foot statue that used to stand at the site.  They held a “funeral” at the old statue when Superman died in the comic book series in 1992.  The following year, 1993, the new statue was erected for a cost of around $100,000!  Super!

It's a bird, it's a plane . . .

Metropolis is also a good spot to check out the mighty Ohio River, which marks the border between Illinois and Kentucky.  The river is littered with massive barges, which ferry goods along the water.  

Ohio River

The I-24 bridge spans the river between Metropolis and Paducah, Kentucky.  The bridge is 5,623 feet long.  That’s well over a mile (5,280 feet).  Completed in 1973, it’s a lovely bridge, with a delicate double arch.

I-24 bridge over the Ohio River taken from Fort Massac State Park
It's always fun to take the trip from northern Illinois to Tennessee in the springtime.  It was cold with snow on the ground until I was two-thirds of the way south in Illinois.  Then in Kentucky I saw my first daffodil.  In Tennessee, the Bradford pears were in glorious, full bloom and trees were beginning to bud.  Now that I'm home again, I'll get to see the beginning of spring all over again.


16 comments:

  1. How lovely to have that time away. That certainly is an impressive Cross! I love how white it is and how blue the sky in the background. It must be encouraging to see those first signs of Spring. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cross is awesome!

    I had to smile when I saw "Paducah, KY" I once heard a man from Paducah say "They say Paducah is at the end of the earth. It is not, but you can see it from there!" LOL It has been probably 30 years since I heard him say that and it is as though I heard it yesterday.

    Glad you were able to visit your Dad and then make it home safely.


    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do miss driving through the midwest. Someday, Dean and I will be back to enjoy all of the subtle pleasantries the scenery has to offer. Until then--these pictures will suffice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - Effingham! I've spent some time there. Kel and I drive that way when we drive from OK to OH (where my parents live). Haven't seen Superman, yet, though ;-)!

    An Unrefined Vegan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the superman. My youngest had a big thing for superman when she was little if she had seen that statue I would not have got her away from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a lovely time with your Dad.The cross stands out really strikingly against the blue sky,nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun trip. I've been over that bridge many times .
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Road trips are the best! I can't believe I miss Superman. We were in Paducah, KY last summer. I'll have to remember to cross the river next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next time you are this way we have to get together!! I live 20 minutes from Paducah!! My brother in law works at Harrah's in Metropolis!!! He and my sister and their kids live in Paducah! Hope your trip was a good one and your dad had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's so much fun to travel by car...so many things you can see ;) wonderful post

    http://excurlythoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Bradford pears in bloom. I don't think there is anything prettier or that says spring more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An amazing cross and an impressively long bridge, it must be nice to drive across it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post.The photographs look beautiful. Traveling by car is always a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the visual trip! We have daffodils peaking out and just starting to bloom here too! Love late winter and the anticipation of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post - great photos of your journey especially Superman. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol Metropolis. That's cool. I love road trips. Hope your dad had a good birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.