Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Get Well Potato Soup

This potato cheese soup is my go-to soup when someone in the family is sick.  I know, I know, chicken soup is the original medicinal soup, but this soup is popular at our house for sore throats, wisdom teeth removal, and also just for everyday eating.  It's quick and easy to make, and I almost always have all the ingredients on hand.

served with grilled chicken and stir-fried vegetables


Potato Cheese Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
6 medium russet potatoes, diced
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk (you can vary the proportions of milk to cream – even all milk)
2-3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Melt butter in large pot.  Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft.  Add broth, potatoes and dried thyme.  Bring to a boil and cook approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.  Remove pot from heat.  If you have an immersion blender, blend right in the pot, leaving some potato chunks.  If not using an immersion blender, pour 2/3 – 3/4 of the soup into a blender and blend smooth.  Then add soup back into pot.

Add cream/milk and return pot to heat.  Heat almost to a boil.   Stir in cheese and heat thoroughly until cheese is melted.  Serve at once.  This soup also reheats well.

Printable recipe

22 comments:

  1. Mmm! No one here is sick (thank goodness) but I think I'll make this tonight anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby is getting the prep work for a crown this evening. I think I will make him some of this. Sure looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great recipe! Thank you. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SweetPosey, I'm hear at your blog after you commented on my via an etsy team. Oh boy, does that soup look delicious. Looking forward to following this delightful blog.

    Happiness to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great!! But do I have to be sick to try it out;)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds and looks delicious, well try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the name of this soup. And it looks and sounds absolutely wonderful. I would certainly get well if I had this. Love the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for another great recipe! This looks like such a great soup for a wet, rainy day. =)
    ~Kim
    Visiting today from Blogging Buddies.
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Potatoe cheese soup is my favorite and this looks yummy! I've never made it but looks like I'll have to give it a try, or, I could just pretend to be sick and maybe you'd send me some?
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I've been getting sick so often a change from chicken soup would be nice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know if I was unwell I would love for someone to make me a soup like this. It would be so easy to eat and yet full of wonderful ingredients and flavours. I'll have to add this to my repertoire xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, this looks delish! Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your version of "get well soup". From following your posts regularly for a while now, I consider you a definite nurturer so this recipe holds currency in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmmmmmmm - thank you for sharing!! I love potato soup. I make a chilled potato leek often. Potato cheese sounds even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so comforting. I love the potato , garlic and thyme combination. Would love a nice big bowl of of that soup. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds wonderful and comforting. It also sounds perfect for a cold rainy or dreary day. I'll have to give this a recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds fairly easy and yummy! Would be awesome with some crusty bread for dipping!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love potato cheese soup! It looks wonderful! The blending makes it so thick and yummy, doesn't it? MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, one food post after another is making me famished!! I LOVE soup, we all do in my home and I make it a couple of times a week. This looks delish, I don't wonder why it's a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.