Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cauliflower with a Twist

I first tasted this creamy baked cauliflower at a dinner party in Vero Beach, Florida.  We were invited to dinner by my husband's uncle and aunt.  One of their friends made this delectable cauliflower and prosciutto casserole.  I couldn't ask for the recipe fast enough.  This is a rich dish, filled with butter, cream, and cheese, so we don't have it often, but it is a real treat when we do.



Fresh parsley is best, but if you don't want to purchase parsley in the winter, dried will work fine.  When we are not serving this to guests, I leave in the chunks of garlic since the husband loves garlic.



Baked Cauliflower with Prosciutto
6 tablespoons butter
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
4-6 ounces thinly sliced Prosciutto ham, visible fat trimmed and julienned
1 head cauliflower, sliced in 1/4-inch slices
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
Cayenne pepper and black or white pepper to taste (I use 1/8 teaspoon cayenne and about four grinds of the pepper mill)

Melt butter in large non-stick skillet; add garlic cloves and sauté for 2 minutes.  Remove garlic (or leave in if you like).  Stir in ham; sauté 2 additional minutes, stirring frequently to separate slices of ham.  Add cauliflower; sauté 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in cream, flour, and pepper.  Heat until mixture just comes to a boil.  Remove from heat immediately.  Pour into 9x13 baking dish.  Cover with Swiss cheese and parsley.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.


19 comments:

  1. Anything with melted cheese works for me, but this looks extra delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cauliflower is my latest veggie discovery. Oh the wonders you can do with it and I agree, add cheese to anything and it's gold! Thanks for sharing this! :) Gonna pin this to my "Recipes to Try" pinboard on Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cauliflower! Your recipe sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drooling.... I can imagine just eating a big bowl of this and nothing else for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh...that sounds like just what I want to eat right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! Can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing! I love all the ingredients especially Prosciutto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely one I will be trying sometime soon! Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this sure looks yummy and sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love baked cauliflower and have a recipe of my own that I use a lot, but this recipe looks even yummier! I'll have to bookmark it to save for later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bookmarking this. I love cauliflower. Thanks so much for sharing this.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this looks like a yummy recipe I have to keep. I never use cauliflower because I've never had a good recipe. This has all those wonderful (not good for you) ingredients that make everything so good.
    Thanks for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks very very good! I will definately be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even like cauliflower but that looks wonderful!!!! I might have to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious. I'm a big fan of cauliflower, it's one of my most favourite vegetables and I think it would go really well with prosciutto xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG that really loos amazing!!! I will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. seriously want some of this!!!!! just linked it up on Mercantile Muse 'things i found at the party' post! thanks lynette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.