Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cake of the Gods

On a down day, there's nothing like playing some loud music and doing some cooking.  Yesterday, to take my mind off things, I cranked up Cary Ann Hearst on the iPod and made this rich and scrumptious almond-saffron cake.  Eating a slice warm from the oven doesn't hurt either!

Can you see the bits of saffron?

the tastes that make it special

I clipped the recipe from the now-defunct Cottage Living magazine years ago, but you can find it on myrecipes.com where it was posted by its creator, Kim Sunee.  My daughter and I love this cake so much, we say it is what the gods would eat if they got hungry.  We are absolutely crazy for it but, strangely, my husband and son don't much care for it.  Maybe it's a girl thing.  Saffron, orange zest, almond, butter and sour cream.  I say, what's not to like?  The recipe suggests dusting with powdered sugar or even topping with an orange juice glaze.  I prefer it in its unadorned, straight-from-the-oven state.

batter before and after adding saffron-zest-milk mixture
the luscious, golden finished product

18 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous! I will have to make one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bout anything with almonds I'm a sucker for. I'd really like to start working with marzipan more because, let's face it, almond paste candy? GAH. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks absolutely fantastic, all of my favorite things in one, almonds, orange, saffron - wow. Must try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! My husband would not like it either and there is only me to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to try this (not that I need another cake to like, lol) but like the others, I too favor all these ingredients. Thanks for sharing!
    ~visiting from homespunsociety~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love almond paste - I will have to try this - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful china. Yes, I can see the bits of saffron. I've made a similar cake but it didn't have the saffron. Doesn't it give the cake a vibrant colour! Looks great SPD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds luscious! There are food items that the girls in the family like and the boys don't and the other way around. strange, eh? or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. I love the color and how it turned out.

    myminibag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll just have to grab something to eat after this post! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know i have been looking for a unique cake for awhile and this one looks so interesting and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MMMMMM! That does look good! My personal favorite when I've got my headphones on is The Best of Etta James. I can do anything with Etta in my ear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You description of the yummy cake is so good that I am drooling as I write this:):)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.