Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Precious, Fragile, Fleeting

On Sunday, both children headed back downstate to their college town after a month-long winter break.  This morning, no one stumbled out of bed at nine or ten o’clock, no asked what was for breakfast in a hopeful tone.  The driveway is free of extra cars; the house is quiet.  The house is quiet.

While there is a certain peace in getting back into a routine of two old fogies and one young dog, the house seems a little empty today.  I miss the sounds of clomping feet, the offers of help folding laundry, even the video games and the all-too-frequent question, “What can I eat?”  Still, I know that I’ll see those faces again.  Faces that I know as well as my own.

Our neighbors around the corner don’t have that luxury.  Their twenty-three-year-old son died at home Sunday morning after a three-year battle with leukemia.  I know they would give anything to hear his shoes on the stairs or see his smile or hear his laugh just once more.  My heart breaks for them even as I am so grateful to have my own children healthy and safe.

Hold all dear ones close.  Life is so precious, so fragile, so swift.



12 comments:

  1. Great post, I try to spend lots of time with my parents. Even though my sis and I are grown adults we still ask them for food when we are hungry hehe... They are always happy to make us something. Lovely picture of winter. Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a cousin pass at age eleven. This resonates with me very much so. Enjoy everything you have while you still have it because tomorrow, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful post, because it's so very important to cherish each moment, no matter how big or small. Thank you for a great post.
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post but that is tragic news. I have a friend who's daughter was diagnosed at the age of 19 with leukaemia and it very nearly killed her however she survived with a bone marrow transplant - just. Those poor parents to lose their son at such a young age - just when his life was starting. Horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo and such tragic news! I know I will miss my kids when and if they ever move out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree love those kiddos while you can and pray like crazy for their health and safety and for those who have to face such a loss. Will pray for your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Heartbreaking. Thank you for the reminder - - life and loved ones are so precious.

    Empty On the Inside
    Dough, Dirt & Dye

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sad news!!! A realtive just died a couple of days ago, and not beeing able to go back to Mexico on time to say good bye's was a really sad situation for me... loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very poignant. In this sense, even the temporary absence of our children is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a tragedy. I think I'll go love on my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to gulp back tears!

    Love how you made it echo..."...;the house is quiet. The house is quiet." I could hear the deafening quiet. Fine writing. Ditto for "what's for breakfast in a hopeful tone." So evocative.

    When my youngest one was home from college years ago, her mornings started at 4 p.m. So I was surprised to read that yours get up at 9 or 10. Great discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, that is so sad to hear. It's always a jolt to be reminded how fleeting life is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.