Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Easy Peasy Pesto. Presto!

My basil plant has been giving me the evil eye for a couple of weeks.  We've had a dry September, and I've only remembered to water the basil and parsley intermittently.  For the last two days, though, the skies have opened up.  We've had two days of rain and cool temperatures.  The basil plumped up, full of yummy basil aroma and flavor.  And with October right around the corner, a killing frost can't be far away.

Time to do a little basil harvesting.  And that means an easy peasy pesto dinner.

My pesto recipe is adapted from Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine.

Pesto

1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 3/4 cups lightly packed basil leaves
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil

Toast the almonds in a medium pan until fragrant and golden.  Put the grated cheese and toasted nuts in the bowl of a food processor; grind finely.  Add basil, parsley, salt, and garlic and puree to a thick paste.  (Add the herbs a bit at a time.)  With food processor running, gradually oil until the sauce is smooth.


So easy, so yummy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow your basil plant is lovely! I couldn't grow anything to save my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your basil plant looks glorious! And that pesto looks delicious. I love a meal that is simple, easy to make and yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am back to check out your photo - what a gorgeous smile...now I can visualize you as I read your blog posts:):)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.