Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Yarn Crazy

Completed large basket and almost completed medium
basket with lots of Thick and Quick still to use up!
I've gone a little crazy this week -- yarn crazy.  I'm still working on crocheted baskets.  My daughter has requested a set of nesting baskets.  I guess she assumes I have some kind of control over the size they turn out.  I finished a large one and then ran out of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick partway through the middle-sized basket.  I made several trips to two different Michael's stores and only found one more skein in the correct color, barley. I called around and even looked online, and the Michael's web site was out, too.  Then I discovered four skeins at my local Jo-Ann Fabric, so yesterday I rushed over and bought all of them.  I should have more than enough to finish the set of three baskets.  And isn't that what yarn hoards are all about?  Having more than enough?

While I was milling around Jo-Ann, I came across Crochet Noro, published by Sixth&Spring Books. While I told myself that I can find plenty of lovely free patterns on Ravelry, I didn't listen and splurged on it.  My first project is going to be the Strawberry Lace Scarf.  The Noro Shiraito yarn called for in the pattern, however, costs $30 for 198 yards, and two skeins are needed.  I can't see that much of a splurge, so today I drove about twenty miles to a neighboring town with a larger Jo-Ann Fabric.  I knew from their web site that they had Premier Serenity Garden yarn in stock.  I went with the intention of picking up three skeins of the hibiscus color.  Well, here's what I came home with:

I think I was feeling colorful.

Gotta love the red sticker!
Yes, that's twelve skeins of yarn.  Four Serenity Garden in hibiscus, four in crocus, and four Hipster yarns in flamingo.  The Hipster yarn was on clearance.  It has a cool name and it's pink, so I couldn't resist it.  And at $1.97 each, why not?  When I texted my daughter that I'd bought twelve skeins of yarn, she wanted to know what I am planning to make.  Um, scarves . . . because the gazillion scarves already in the scarf drawer don't count? Actually, it's because I am getting ready to drive down to Tennessee for my third week-long visit in six weeks. While I am there, I need plenty of projects to keep me busy.  Last trip, my mother kept asking if I wasn't tired of crocheting baskets.  The answer to that was no, but I made a doily just to be agreeable.  (My first thread doily.  It was pretty bad, so there's no photo.)

As you can imagine, I'm not making all these nine-and-a-half-hour drives just for fun, but these colorful yarns will be sure to provide a bright spot in the next week.

17 comments:

  1. The stacking baskets will be great. I love the pretty yarn you purchased and that's a great price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out the Noro book from the library. WOW! All the projects are amazing. I probably left drool over some of the pages.
    What a great deal you got on all that yarn. I have been trying NOT to buy any yarn until what I have is used. ..We will see how long that lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crochet baskets. I never thought of using chunky yarn. What a great idea! I have a skein that I haven't known what to do with. I think you just solved that problem. Thanks! :-) Looks like you found a lot of great yarns at JoAnn. I love that Debra Norville Serenity Garden yarn. I've used it a lot for crochet shawls and even for weaving a scarf. I've used several of the colors. I hope they keep making it and selling it and that they come out with more colorways. That would be great! Happy stitching! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I had to laugh at the comment that we hoarders always buy more than enough! I bought 3 Closet Maid shoe organizers and stacked them vertically to store yarn. It's already full from my just-in-case-I-run-out skeins! I'm going to order one more shoe organizer, because apparently you can never have too many of those either! I love the yarn you purchased, and the Hipster name, too. Are you sure you'll have enough? :)

    We're on the road quite a bit to visit our girls, so I like to work on mindless knitting projects in the car. I hope things are going well, and your crochet work provides a little zen time for you. Lynette. Happy crocheting!

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your colorful yarns..WE need them as the weather gets cold..I DO~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those will be some stunning scarves in those colors. I'm thinking perfect to brighten a long Minnesota winter. Oh, did I just type the w word?

    That's a long drive, 9 /12 hours. I hope you're doing OK; guess I kind of know what you are going through although my drive was not nearly that long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, bravo on the brown baskets.. and wowie zowie on the new yarn! I've made two shawls with Serenity Garden and I get a LOT of compliments. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been a busy girl! LOVE those baskets!!! They would be cute with a knitted orange pumpkin inside with a little rafia underneath the pumpkin. I've caught up on your posts and love that little pup! He is soooo cute! Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness you had to buy the yarn, I mean look at it, in sale and everything! You really had no choice. I think a beautiful Elise Shawl in that gorgeous purple would be beautiful. It is a simple pattern and you can get it free on Ravelry. It can double as a scarf.
    You are going to have so much fun and I had to laugh about having control of the size of the baskets, there is no control at all, each one is like an experiment;
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your 'control of the size' made me chuckle! They look great! I love the yarns...look like my kind of colours. It's great to have something to do whilst travelling. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tee hee... pretty yarn is just too hard to resist, isn't it? Sometimes it's best to just give in and buy it!
    Hope your drives go well and enjoy working those needles when you get there,
    happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My---your color scheme for your scarf is fantastic... Can't wait to see the scarf when it is finished... How is your mother? Hope you enjoy the visit.. Where in TN?? I know you told me --but I'm drawing a blank right now.

    I'm sure your daughter will enjoy her new baskets....
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. The kind of yarn therapy that involves splurging on lots of pretties is always to be recommended when something stressful looms into view.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been a busy girl! I love the idea of crocheting to keep you busy. Love the bright and colorful yarns to bought too.

    I see that your yarn is like my "Fabric." You can never have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're going to be so busy dealing with all that wool. It's all in such pretty colours too. I can't wait to see what you make with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've selected some pretty spectacular yarns to take with you on your long journey. Pretty yarn always helps. Safe travels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to funny, I 'd buy the Hipster yarn just cause it's
    pink!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.