Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Basket Case!

Last week I was down south visiting the old, the sick, and the infirm (aka my family).  While I was there, sometimes with not much to do, I became something of a basket case.  Crocheted baskets!

Aren't the little handles adorable?

I blame my basket craze on Meredith at Mereknits.  Toward the end of August, she began posting pictures of a basket she had crocheted.  Yowza, I was hooked (sorry).  So I hopped on over to Crochet in Color, where Meredith got her pattern, and promptly downloaded the pattern for myself.

Last week I crocheted FOUR baskets.  You can really tell how poor my crochet skills are when I tell you that none of the four baskets turned out the same size or even quite the same shape!  I gave a mulberry-colored one to my mother, so I don't have pictures of it, but you can see what I mean with the picture of the other three.

No consistency at all!
The baskets are worked with a double strand of super bulky yarn.  For some reason, I had the most trouble with the beige basket.  The yarn is all the same brand, Yarn Bee Effortless Super Bulky, but the beige was "hairier" and my hook got caught more often.  Maybe that is why I hooked it tighter.  Another factor that made them different is that with the first one (far right), I accidentally hooked the sides from the inside out (working on the far edge of the basket rather than the side nearest me).  I don't know how I got that going, but I think that's what gave it the slightly bulbous shape.  The second basket (center) was made "correctly," or at least as correctly as I could do it.  It has straight sides.  Because I'd seen the bulbous one first, though, I kind of liked it better, so I made the third basket hooking the sides inside out again.


When I brought home my basket haul, the husband wondered what I am going to do with them.  I could see one in Florida holding sunscreen.  My brother suggested a smaller one with shorter sides as a place to throw car keys.  I'm not sure what will happen to these, but there is some gray Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in my yarn bag waiting to be made into yet another basket!



I think I may be developing an addiction.

17 comments:

  1. Hi, These are cute. What a great idea and so many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice baskets.. those will always come in handy!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so lovely. I wish I know how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how neat... You really are a basket case!!!!ha ha .... AND---I love love love your baskets... I love baskets also --and use all sizes of them for all kinds of things (like you mentioned).

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo-hoo!!!! I love them and I think they are all fantastic and unique. I think a shorter one sounds perfect for car keys and trinkets in your pockets. And a gray one would be my favorite as that is my favorite color. I wonder if it is easier to make them holding two bulky yarns, holding three cotton yarns almost killed my wrists.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your baskets are beautiful! To me, the beauty is that they DON'T look all the same. I don't crochet or knit so I admire people who do so. You can make so many cute things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will take one. :-)
    I love them! I also like the idea of one for car keys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The baskets are gorgeous. They would be so useful. I don't think it matters that they are all slightly different - that's what gives them that 'made with love' look xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them! They are so cute. I could think of a million uses for them. I'd put one in every room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cute little baskets. I bet they would make great gifts too. Then again, I'd probably have a hard time parting with them. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all great, Lynette, and I'm sure you can think of dozens of uses for them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh one can never have too much storage, and they're such cute baskets too x

    ReplyDelete
  13. how clever of you to make these lovely baskets. i can't craft to save my life:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love yours and Merediths!! great job

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.