Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Almond Poppy Seed Bread

It's a gorgeous cool day here in the Midwest.  A great day for baking.  I wanted to make a treat for a friend who is cleaning out her garage today (that deserves a treat!), so this recipe was perfect because it makes two mini loaves. One to give and one to keep!

Time for a new whisk!
This is such an easy recipe; you don't even need to use a mixer.  I got this recipe from a woman I met at Esther's Place Fiber Arts Studio in Big Rock, Illinois a couple of years ago.  That day, I was there learning to make felted slippers.  (I love my felted slippers -- they are pink and orange, one of my favorite color combinations -- but I can't wear them in our house because they would get covered in Alfie hair.  So I pack them whenever I go to visit my parents.  They have bamboo floors in their condo, and the slippers are fabulous for sliding!  Every time I slide through the dining room to the kitchen door, my dad asks me when I'm going to grow up.  "Never" is the obvious answer to that one!)  Anyway, another woman was at Esther's Place that day working on a project, and she had brought in one of these yummy almond poppy seed breads.  She kindly e-mailed the recipe to me the next day.  I don't know the origin of the recipe.  Because I can't leave well enough alone, I have altered it just a bit from the one she sent me.  I reduced the salt, oil and sugar a little and increased the poppy seeds by 1/2 tablespoon.

These are all the ingredients you need



Almond Poppy Seed Bread
(Makes two loaves)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two mini loaf pans (9x5x3).

Sift together:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

Mix in with spoon:
2 cups sugar
2 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds

In separate, large bowl, mix together:
3 beaten eggs
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ teaspoon almond flavoring



Add dry ingredients to wet in thirds (approximate).  Mix well after each addition with mixer or whisk.
Pour into prepared pans and bake 50-55 minutes, or until golden brown on top.  (Check during the last 5 or 10 minutes so as not to overcook.)  Remove from pans and let cool on racks.  Is also good warm!


6 comments:

  1. Oh I love baking posts! And I love quickbreads! this looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that looks so good! I love poppyseed loaves. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I might give it a try this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, ladies! I must confess I ate this bread for breakfast today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yum! I love anything poppyseed. What is it about poppyseeds?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks deliciozey !It made me chuckle about you and your felt slippers.. I can empathasize!And what about an empty aisle at the supermarket with a shopping trolley..its just too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cat,
    I am frequently tempted to hop on the shopping cart when I'm wheeling my groceries out to the car! I always refrain in order to maintain my dignity, but I'm starting to think we should all have fun and to heck with propriety!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.