Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chicken Paprika for a Blustery Day

It was cool, windy and damp all day here.  The weather put me in the mood for some old-fashioned comfort food, so for dinner I made chicken paprika.  I still make my chicken paprika the way I did when my children were young -- with bite-sized pieces and served over pasta rather than spaetzle.  My recipe is adapted from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cook Book by Zoe Coulson (1980).  It doesn't photograph well, plus I used too much pasta tonight, so the finished product is drier than it should be.  But it still tasted good!




Chicken Paprika

3 chicken breasts (halves), cut in bite-sized pieces
1/3 cup flour
2-3 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
Pepper to taste
1 ½ cups water
1 chicken-flavor bouillon cube
½ cup sour cream

Coat chicken with flour; reserve remaining flour.  Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides.  Remove chicken.

Add remaining flour and onions to skillet.  Cook, stirring frequently about 2 minutes.  Stir in salt, paprika, pepper, bouillon and water.  Mix well.  Return chicken to skillet; cover and reduce heat to medium or low.  It should bubble, but not be a rolling boil.  Simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.

Stir in sour cream until blended and heat through.

Serve over spaghetti or linguine.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning, I found you on the Blogging Buddies forum. I am now your newest follower. Come by and visit me when you get a chance. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    Carla

    http://wwww.blueberryjunkie.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds really easy to make, i have to try that

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe sounds delicious - especially as the weather here in the UK gets more seasonably cold. Will take a note of it, be sure, and in the interim having just seen you on Blogging Buddies, welcome you to the team and blogging. Also would love to see you at my blog (www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com) where I post about making, mending and otherwise creating the toys I then try to sell on www.coldhamcuddlies.etsy.com.

    Look forward to seeing you there sometime. Meanwhile, will follow you. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made something very similar to this before and it was superb! Chicken and paprika go so well together. I'm sure I'll be trying this recipe too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.