Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Waiting Room Magazine Cuisine



One of the best things about going to the dentist is the magazine rack in the waiting room.  I don't subscribe to many magazines, so being in the waiting room is like getting a glimpse into other worlds -- Midwest Living, Simple, who knows what I'll find?  On Saturday, after chatting with the receptionist a few minutes -- how's the family, how 'bout this weather (snow flurries) -- I settled down with a magazine with lovely pastel Easter eggs on the cover.  Partway through, I came across a recipe for beef brisket that looked fresh and different.  I showed it to the husband; he agreed.  I thumbed through a few more pages.  Then I thought maybe I should write that recipe down, so I started to rummage in my purse for a pen and scrap of paper.  The door opened.  "Come on back."  I hastily put the magazine back in the rack and meekly followed the hygienist.

With my teeth cleaned, X-rays taken, and a figurative pat on the head from the dentist, I returned to the waiting room. The husband was still in the back, so I figured I'd get that recipe.  The magazine was gone!  No pastel Easter eggs to be seen in the rack or on the chairs.  Hummpf.  Some other middle-aged lady (there had been one in the waiting room) had no doubt taken it with her back to the dentist's chair.

When I got home, I began searching online for the recipe.  I didn't know what magazine it was, only that it had Easter eggs on the cover.  I searched for a recipe with the ingredients, and I struck gold.  I found it in Good Housekeeping. The name of the recipe is a mouthful, Soy-Braised Beef and Tomato-Mint Salad.  Here's the link.  


I made it for last night's dinner, and it was a hit.  It's super easy, too, as the beef cooks all day in the crock pot.  I served it, as suggested, with jasmine rice.  Next time, both of us agreed, maybe replace the red onion with green onions or shallots.  The onion flavor was a little strong.  (The husband said this first and he loves onions.)  In the magazine, they used whole mint leaves, which looked prettier, but my mint leaves were gargantuan, so I chopped them.  One important note: I used low sodium soy sauce and it was plenty salty.

photo from Kikkoman web site

Speaking of soy sauce, did you know that much of the Kikkoman soy sauce produced in the U.S. comes from Walworth, Wisconsin?  It's a tiny town just over the Illinois border.  We used to live seven miles from Walworth, so I usually buy Kikkoman.  I remember the first time we drove north on Rt. 14 into Wisconsin and I saw that big Kikkoman plant sitting out in the middle of a field.  Such a surprise.  But it makes sense, since the Midwest grows a lot of soybeans.  Might as well put the plant near the source, right?

Anyway, next time you're at the dentist, keep your eyes open, be sure to have a pen and paper, and don't let anyone snatch your magazine and carry it to the back before you get your recipe.  But if that does happen, there's always the internet.

15 comments:

  1. Your dental office has way better magazines than mine. That dish looks really tasty. I am clicking on that link shortly. And who knew soy sauce was made in Wisconsin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, only the best magazines at our dentist. Lol. We never changed dentists when we moved 20 years ago, so we drive an hour to the dentist. I guess it's good that the magazines are worth it!

      Delete
  2. I had to smile while read this post as I do exactly the same! I only get the chance to browse through magazines at the dentist or at the hairdressers! The dentist is the best though because one usually has to wait a long long time and it gives me lots of time too enjoying the magazines. Can I suggest another time if you find something you like in the magazine such as the recipe you quickly take a snapshot of it with your cell phone. That is what I do :-) the stew does look delicious!

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salad looks delish, but I'd cut down on the onions, too. I love crock pot meals and coming home from work to a meal that's nearly done. I had no idea that the Kikkoman plant was in Wisconsin.

    My dental clinic has a wide variety of magazines, too, so the wait doesn't seem so long and it keeps my mind off what's ahead.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love finding a new recipe in a magazine.. yours looks delicious! I'm glad you didn't have to have a serious dental procedure. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dish looks delicious! I subscribe to a few magazines, but others that I want to read and don't subscribe to, I either get at the library or once a month, my husband and I go to Barnes & Noble and take a stack of magazines and go sit in the cafe and look through them all.

    You asked on my blog if I thought you could put succulents in your rather dark front porch. Probably not, as succulents need a lot of light (though not direct sunlight).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were able to find the recipe! Neat to hear how you came across it! Looks like an interesting dish. I had never heard Kikkoman was based in Wisconsin! I wonder if any of the soybeans around here go into the soy sauce I eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! I used to be tempted to tear recipes out of magazines at the doctors when I was in the UK! (Ssh, I sometimes did!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my dentist has a lot of golfing magazine, and I always get caught up reading People when I am there.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too look for recipes in those magazines at the dentist's office. Ours have a small sign that says they will make copies if you like a certain recipe. That is a beautiful salad you made and nutritious also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound like a yummy recipe and it looks good – but I don’t have a crock pot… My dentist does not have many magazines; usually I bring a book with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you found that recipe... It does look delicious... I didn't know that about the tiny town in Wisconsin... Interesting--what one can learn when blogging.

    Happy Memorial Day. Let's never forget those men and women who served and gave so much for our FREEDOM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lynette! How are you? It's been hectic back here in the UK catching up with everyone before we head back to France for the summer. It was lovely to see you over at my blog. I relate entirely to the magazine thing. I don't buy magazines very often, they're so expensive, I always think I could buy a book for that price! I've done the same as you and found good looking recipes. I take a photo with my phone, zooming in where necessary. This also happens in the hairdressers. My hairdresser also has a collection of old books and I found some interesting recipes from the 1970s which I took photos of. The beef recipe looks good. I've pinned it to my Slow Cooker board. I've been trying some different recipes as I love my slow cooker! Take care, Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.