Pages

Friday, August 14, 2015

Yikes! Where Did Summer Go?

I know it's still summer, still warm and humid here in northern Illinois, but I'm feeling like summer is beginning to wind down and fall will be here before I know it. One indication of a looming autumn is my garden. The last daylily bloomed this week. The late summer surprise lilies are still in bloom, but already beginning to fade.
My garden gets bedraggled in August. Asters: I think asters might be an answer. There used to be an older lady, Eve, in our neighborhood who grew gorgeous purple and pink asters along her parkway. Her yard was a cheery sight as the dog days of summer faded away. Once her husband caught someone picking the flowers! I guess the woman thought the parkway was public property. Sadly, Eve is gone and so are her asters.


My summer has been busy; I've been
working, visiting family, and crocheting.
Right now I'm making some retro-y pillow
covers that I'll show you when I've finished
the second one.

In the meantime, I can show you a Queen Ann's
Lace scarf I completed recently. My daughter
had given me some luscious alpaca yarn for
Christmas (Cascade Yarns Baby Alpaca
Chunky Paints), which worked up beautifully.
Maybe the fall colors of the yarn are what make
me think summer is over.

These autumn colors and the fallen leaves I've
been finding in the birdbath need to be a spur to
me to finish all the projects I had planned for the
summer. I have another pathway to dig, shrubs
to prune, birdhouse to clean out, etc., etc.

Hope you're enjoying whatever season you're in!



10 comments:

  1. It is summer (and HOT) still, but Monday will be my first day of school and it will be fall, regardless of what the calendar says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scarf. I absolutely adore the colors and design. Your flowers are stunning, too. I know what you mean about plants/flowers looking bedraggled this time of year. Same here in Minnesota, where I've even seen leaves turning color on a tree. However, today the weather is oppressively hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a few leaves changing color too, but ours might be because July was very dry.

      Delete
  3. I already miss the summer even though it's still 30C over here because next week on the temperature will drop to 20C...you have a great garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog. It's still officially summer here in the UK, although I think someone needs to tell the sun that! I love the autumnal colours of the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. It's still officially summer here in the UK, although I think someone needs to tell the sun that! I love the autumnal colours of the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scarf. That is one of my favorite color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...down here we can see the beginnings of Spring. We have some cold weather scheduled for this week but already I can see the days getting longer and there's a little more warmth in the sun. How lovely to have all those aster plants; what a shame the garden hasn't lived on. I love the fall colours of your crocheting xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers you show here are lovely, and so is the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I feel fall in the air, too, Lynette! It's 60 and rainy today and some of the trees in town have already turned color. I need a few more weeks of summer, please!

    I love the colors in your crocheted scarf! In fact, I may have knit a pair of mittens with that same yarn. Great minds think alike, right? Enjoy our final weeks of summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.