Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Prairie Pinks

Prairie wetland area, mostly green and brown

When I think of Illinois prairies, I picture mostly yellows and browns, especially in the late summer -- the goldenrods, black-eyed Susans, various types of sunflowers, grass seed heads, Monarch and Sulphur butterflies -- but there are also many touches of pink and purple, especially if you look closely.

Obedient Plant (?)

Alfie and I had a long ramble in the prairie today.  First we tramped around the wetland area.  Despite the lack of rain the last couple of months, the wetland was full and wet. Enormous frogs hopped further into the water as we passed by.  I would have taken some pictures, but I didn't have my long lens, and I do NOT get close to frogs.  I am creeped out by frogs and toads ever since as a young teenager I accidentally squashed a toad while wearing thin-soled house shoes.  Ugh, even thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Near the wetland, we saw something nicer than frogs: fun little flowers called Blue (or Swamp) Vervain and Pink Lady's Thumb.
Blue Vervain on left and Pink Lady's Thumb on right
After getting our fill of the wetland area, Alfie and I crossed over to the dog portion of the prairie where he could run off leash and sniff and explore to his heart's content.  While he nosed into holes, the creek, and a neighboring cornfield, I found additional pink and purple flowers.

Bees hard at work on Joe Pye Weed (or maybe it's Queen of the Prairie?)
Thistle and Coneflower
The bluish-purple wild bee balm was beginning to fade, but there were still enough blossoms to feed a hungry Monarch butterfly.


Finally, Alfie and I were both getting tired.  We stopped by a sunflower-framed bridge for a short rest and a drink of water for Alfie, then headed home.  Thanks for coming along!


17 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along to see the beauty that surrounds you! I don't think of pink flowers in autumn, but they sure seem to be plentiful in the prairie. I hope I can get out for a few walks and maybe out on the water this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what pretty wildflowers you have there! It's good to get out in the wild, isn't it? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your walk and the flowers that you identified. I never know what they are so thank you. In my hometown/county in Northern Illinois they found and preserved some prairies that had never been plowed and the Museum of Natural History in Chicago comes out every summer and does research and monitors the species of plants, insects etc. They always ask for volunteers and I can't wait to get back there so I can raise my hand! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are beautiful.Thank you for taking me on this walk with you and Alfie. You gave me my prairie fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers are so beautiful. Bet you and Alfie had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like toads either! I do love your images and the one of the butterfly is stunning. There are so many gorgeous colours on this prairie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have wee little black frogs all over the place since we had all that rain. Love your adventure everywhere you look there is something beautiful to see.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos especially the butterfly. Thanks for your comments, sorry not to reply but just got back from our holidays

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place to go for a walk. I love to see frogs, but also not too close up xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a beautiful adventure.
    I love the photos today. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful photographs :) really enjoyed this post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful nature around your place. We have a nice lake only a few minutes from the house as well. You got great photos. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wildflowers are gorgeous! Looks like a lovely place for a stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos. I love the wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous flowers in today's post.... We saw lots of beautiful flowers when we were on our trip to the Tetans and Yellowstone over a month ago... I love seeing the flowers of Fall!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a beautiful walk. Beautiful photos of the flowers and great one of Alfie having a drink! Does he go in for a swim?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful place. Wonderful photos. There are so many gorgeous colors on this prairie. Thanks fro sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.