Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Digest for Dreaming

When I was a kid, I used to love to look at catalogs -- Sears and J. C. Penney were probably the main ones.  If I could pick any bedspread on this page, which would it be?  Which outfit would make a ten-year-old look the coolest?   What about all that jewelry?  And how about those toys?  (Who can forget the Wish Book?)


When I got much older, I discovered Architectural Digest through my future mother-in-law.  Similar dreams, but on a much bigger scale. Imagine walking through that garden in Tuscany.  Or that kitchen in the Hamptons.  Sitting in that living room in Manhattan.  If only.

For a while, I subscribed, but once in a period of penny-pinching, I failed to renew my subscription.  Recently, we received a subscription pitch in the mail.  The price seemed good, so I sent in the card.  I've been eagerly awaiting my first issue for more than a month.  When the first of February came and went, I wondered if I would ever receive my new subscription.

Today, the mailman delivered not one, but two issues of Architectural Digest, plus a thin volume of celebrity homes, to my mailbox.  On this gray, snowy day, a curl up on the couch with a couple of grown-up Wish Books sounds just about perfect.

Diet Coke at hand, cozy blanket nearby.  Ready to dream.

18 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I used to make paper dolls from catalogs! Still love magazines...Handwoven is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, paper dolls from models in catalogs. My sisters and I did this too.

      Delete
    2. I used to do that too! Free paper dolls!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wish books, who could forget those, especially the Christmas catalog. We kids fought over that one when the mailman dropped it into our rural mailbox. Catalogs were also used to boost little kids to table height in a chair. Ah, the memories.

    I love perusing magazines, because a girls gotta dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phone books were also good for boosting the little ones.

      Delete
  3. My brother and I used to pour over the wish catalogs when we were over at our g'parent's house...such wonderful memories! Looks like you've got a wonderful afternoon ahead of you. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect way to spend your day. Enjoy :-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Diet Coke and Cozy Blanket, my kind of day. Except I haven't been drinking Diet Coke for a couple of weeks. All of sudden it doesn't taste good after years of drinking it. Have fun dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to fight over the "wish book" when it came in November. Then as an adult I used to get travel magazines because I love to travel. I can't justify the expense now but the Internet is great for wishing too!

    You look like you have a cozy nest all set up and ready to sink into. Enjoy!

    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the "Wish Book" Ah memories. Sounds like you had a perfect afternoon.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yes.... I remember the old Sears Roebuck and JC Penney catalogs.... AND--I especially remember the 'wish book'... So much fun ---and so many great memories...

    SO--I can imagine how much you are enjoying your magazines now... Keep on DREAMING and enjoying!!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds perfect to me. I remember going through catalogues and dreaming. I love your little keepsake table

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! Cutting out (free) paper dolls and admiring the evening wear as a child! Catalogues and magazines give us the opportunity to dream and that is SO important!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't take AD, but I do enjoy looking at it at the library. I've been trying to get a handle on my magazine addiction. Now, I'm only subscribing to four magazines (one was a gift), and I'm not buying any at the store. I'm so proud of myself! :D One of the mags Trip reads, so I guess that only means that I get three per month, and that's it!

    I still look forward to the Neiman Marcus Christmas Wish Book. It's fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something about looking through a good catalog or magazine that just can't compare to reading online.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still love to read different catalogs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good to me too, although I think I prefer something like UK Homes and Gardens ... the houses aren't quite so grand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love subscribing to magazines too. Even though you pay for them up front, every time a magazine arrives in the letter box it's as if it's a gift (at least that's what I tell myself, anyway!) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.