Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Looking for Adventure

Last weekend, we went a little crazy and this happened.


We bought ourselves two kayaks.  We're ready for adventure.  Honestly, when I saw the kayaks strapped to the car, I could hear "Born to Be Wild" playing in my head.  I feel a little like a middle-aged cliche, driving a Subaru with kayaks on the roof, but it's going to be fun.  We took them out for their maiden voyage to Shabbona Lake State Park, about thirty minutes away.  It's a small lake, only 318 acres, and is used for fishing and float boats only, no speed boats. Perfect for getting the feel of our new kayaks.  And we weren't the only ones who thought so; we met another middle-aged couple, who had brought their new kayaks to Shabbona for their first trip too.

Hard to paddle in the lily pads, but I wanted a close look at the flowers.

We found an area covered with lily pads and water lilies.  We saw a couple of herons, lots of purple martins and dragonflies.  A lovely, peaceful time.



15 comments:

  1. That's totally cool! Have fun with the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like SO SO SO much fun... I know you are THRILLED to have those new toys.... NOW---just take time to get out OFTEN and enjoy them.... Take lots of pictures for us.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. One never knows what they will do in middle age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to lots of adventures ahead, Lynette! We've had some wonderful days out on local lakes and rivers this season, which is winding down way too fast. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a *lot* of fun! Glad you had a good time--and how neat to see water lilies in the wild up close! (I've pretty much only seen them at botanical gardens.) We have a couple canoes and my Grandpa has a couple kayaks, so we take them out on the Iowa River every so often. This year we've only been out once, but it was great fun! One boat did capsize, but I was very relieved to make it through our trip dry. Nice photo of you on the water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful and peaceful! Pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Lynette! How fantastic. You are going to have such fun and so many adventures in those kayaks. And a great way to get closer to the wildlife. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I SEE you!!!! So adventurous! I'm sure you all had a great time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I always wanted to do that but now my money goes for meds! LOL! Good for you! I did do a lot of canoeing when I was in Iowa and I too like the nature and quiet you get from a non-motorized water vehicle and a kayak really allows you to traverse close to shore without beaching etc. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors in your kayaks and good job on your maiden voyage! Did you smell the water lilies? They have a lovely scent. I hope you have years of peaceful water adventures ahead of you. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant! What fun:) youth is wasted on the young any way - get out and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kayaking must be really fun! Nice photos ♥

    Your photos do look magical♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I purchased my first kayak last Spring and this summer was so exciting because of it. I had so much fun and went out 6 or 7 times. If I hadn't got it, I probably would have been home pulling weeds in the garden, LOL. It's not just for middle agers, I just celebrated my 71st wonderful year and I plan on kayaking for at least another 10 or 15. I simply love the water lilies: what a beautiful spot for your first voyage.
    You are going to have so much fun!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like so much fun! I've never been in a kayak before. Kudos to you guys for being adventurous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.