Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Throwback Thursday

I've never done a Throwback Thursday post before.  Never even thought about it.  Then last week, my father-in-law e-mailed my husband some pictures he had taken of us in 1984 -- thirty years ago!  This was before we were married, after we had known each other about a year.  I'm not sure I had ever seen these pictures before, and I had completely forgotten the day they were taken, so they came as a real bolt from the blue.  Who were those impossibly young people?  What did they imagine their lives held in store?



When these pictures were taken, we lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, on the same street -- Harper Avenue -- a block apart.  I lived in a comparatively large first floor studio that cost $300 a month.  My dad built a large bookcase that I used to divide the room into a sleeping half and a living room half.  The future husband lived in a tiny studio with a Murphy bed.  I believe his kitchen was basically a closet.  There was a little shopping center, Harper Court, in between our apartment buildings.  When I remember Harper Court as it was then, it was something of a marvel.  This was before chain stores flooded the neighborhood.  Harper Court had, among other things, a fabulous independent toy store, just perfect in every way, a Danish furniture store, a florist, and an artists' co-op with work by local artists.  There were checkerboard benches in the center of the square where old men played chess on sunny days.  The pictures were taken in a wonderful Japanese restaurant in Harper Court that was the first place I ever saw with a sushi bar.  They also served very tasty tempura and salmon teriyaki, but the biggest treat was the red bean ice cream that they flew in from Japan.  

Sadly, the restaurant no longer exists.  And really, neither do these two impossibly young people.  After thirty years, of course we're older (with more girth and less hair) and, one hopes, a bit wiser.  Less dewy-eyed, with perhaps fewer dreams.  The people we've become, though, are okay too -- even if we no longer know where to find red bean ice cream.

12 comments:

  1. I love these two photos..a happy couple. Tempura, teriyaki salmon and red bean ice cream are probably the dishes I would order in a Japanese restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this reflective post and photos. Beautiful. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audrey. That means a lot coming from you.

      Delete
  3. You were and are so very pretty! What wonderful photos of you both! I enjoyed reading your memories of where you both lived. I sometimes wonder where the time has gone!!! We are bigger, grayer and I hope a little smarter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun surprise to receive those photos in the mail! It's hard to believe how quickly the years pass and how much things have changed, isn't it? Sweet post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how neat... I love seeing old photos of my blog friends... You were beautiful then and are beautiful NOW.... Has your life turned out the way you thought it would in 30 years... Mine certainly did not... After 20 yrs. of marriage, I got a divorce --which I never thought I would. BUT-- I would never have met George if I had have stayed married to my first husband. SO--for me, that change was the best thing I ever did. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my.. we all were so young and pretty and thin and didn't even appreciate it then.. :-)
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-) (Had a typo so reposted comment with fixed letter.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just took me back thirty years! Wow! My first apartment was $285 a month and that was back in 1984. We seem to be the same age. Where did the years go? When did we get to be this age? We will just move forward and make the best of the life we have. Loved seeing your photos. I think perhaps I should dig out some of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to have these photos, Posy; what treasures they are. You both look gorgeous. How precious to have these surface after thirty years. I have a couple of photos of me with my future husband from 30 years ago and find it hard to work out where all the years have gone xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these pictures are amazing. Honestly in this setting as well, you two look like you're straight out of the movies! I honestly thought when I saw the pictures in my feed that it was a movie clip. I love seeing photos from the past. Such sweet memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought the same as Libby- straight out of a movie. Your father in law is sweet to send them your way. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.