Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Off the Hook for Mother's Day

I decided to make my mother a hat for Mother's Day this year.  I started out knitting one from a pattern that I like quite a lot.  I used that pattern for what has become my go-to winter hat, a slightly slouchy brown tweed.  Here's a picture of it from a 2011 blog post. For my mother's hat, I was using Lion Brand Homespun in a really pretty purple. Unfortunately, I gave up after getting only a few rows in past the ribbing because it was turning out huge.  The bulky Homespun yarn is obviously too thick for this hat.

Undaunted, I decided to begin a new hat.  I scoured Ravelry, looking for something with a bit of a brim.  I found a Patons pattern for a crocheted Women's Peaked Hat that many Ravelry users said ran small.  My mother has a small head, so I figured this would work out well.  I switched to Vanna's Choice yarn in dusty purple.  I like how it turned out, though it seems a trifle long.  I can't really judge the fit because it is a little too small for me.  I tacked up the brim with two coconut husk buttons in a coordinating purple from Dritz Belle Buttons.  Here's hoping it will fit my mother and be a hit on Mother's Day.


12 comments:

  1. Really, really cute. Love the style and the color. I hope it fits. What a thoughtful gift, too, when it's handcrafted by a loving daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely hat, I know your mom will love it. I'm currently working on my mom's scarf hehe... hope I can finish it by Mother's Day too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah----beautiful. I LOVE it and your Mom will also. I love that color....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hat looks very cozy and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous hat, and gorgeous color.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hat, I'm sure Mom will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous. What beautiful work. I love the colour and your mom will be so pleased to received something so thoughtful and homemade xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi--
    I popped over from Debra's blog.

    Love, love, love the hast and I bet your mom will too.
    The button idea is great.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hat! The brim really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice!! I made a hat with a brim once and it came out exactly the way I imagined it although.. I don't know if I'll do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently ran across a lovely bronze wool coloured hat my mom had made. It was beautiful ... I wish I looked good in hats.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.