Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chocolate Cravings

I have two addictions.  Diet Coke -- a serious addiction for me and many other women -- and chocolate -- ditto.  For the past two weeks or so I have been craving some rich, dark, chocolaty goodness.  I keep planning to make my favorite deep dish brownies, but I've been too busy.  Okay, I've been too lazy.

Very few ingredients needed!
Last night, after two days spent without even any Dove dark chocolate Promises to beat back the chocolate monkey on my back, I broke down and made brownies.  Well, sort of.  As I said, I've been lazy, but I was desperate, so I made microwave mug brownies from a Chicago Tribune recipe I found several years back.   I know, I know, all you serious cooks are hissing, but I was desperate!

I always half the recipe, omit the salt, and double the vanilla.  I can't seem to leave a recipe alone!  Last night, I threw some chocolate chips in.  I don't recommend that as they don't have time to melt.  I would show you the photos of the actual brownies, but they just look too unappetizing.  My husband tosses a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on his.  I suspect it's just to hide the ugly brownie.  I admit, these brownies are not terribly rewarding, but they are extremely easy, quick and quiet the monkey.  Temporarily anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the NutriSystem microwave mug brownie. Didn't taste bad, but somehow the gratification just wasn't there. The hubby's been on a quest to maintain his 60-lb weight loss since last August, so making a traditional tray of brownies would seem like sabotage. (Bloggers' Brownie Exchange!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like me..my 2 top addictions are diet coke and chocolate. I have been trying to cut the cokes to one a day and have replaced them with pots of coffee..don't know that that is better! I have found the best recipe for me is the cheap store brand brownie mix! I tried twenty or so recipes looking for the perfect one and when I made the cheap store mix, my husband said, "This is IT!" My 9 yr old made his first solo batch tonight. I will eat them one inch at a time every time I pass them tomorrow!(less calories that way?) Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought it would have diet coke in the recipe, lol. This is fascinating though. I think I'd like to try that, regardless if you say it looks unappetizing. It sounds interesting. I've made eggs in a cup before with laughing cow cheese (it's a "hungry girl" recipe). Brownies in a cup sound better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mug brownies - how cool is that?? You've gotta do what you've gotta do sometimes, when it comes to getting the daily chocolate dose. When I need a quick fix I make myself a cup of hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at microwave mug brownies... Lol. It might be a quick fix but if it gets you through that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on the chocolate! And I've got the fat cells on my thighs to prove it!

    Looks like I'm going to have to try that recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.