Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Coming Back Into the Light

It's been a while since I've written a post.  You may remember last August I wrote about my brother's paralysis and death (cancer).  At that point, I tried to make a conscious decision to live life more fully (hence the kayak purchase). Things didn't go exactly according to plan.  I spent a lot of time in Tennessee over the next couple of months, clearing out my brother's house and selling it.  Then my father began to decline further (Parkinson's).  Long story short, he passed away at the beginning of December.  Luckily, I was able to be with him.  I drove home with pneumonia (didn't know it until chills started halfway through the drive) and spent several weeks recovering.  Then my mother decided to move into assisted living, so that turned into another four weeks spent in Tennessee.  There's still my parents' condo to sell and all the possessions to redistribute.  So all in all, the last eleven months have been a little overwhelming.

Dad and me around 1960, reprinted from a color slide

The bad days, however, are becoming fewer.  I am starting to see the light again.


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had it really tough for while. It's times like these that inner strength really comes to the fore. Hope you can now allow yourself some time out in the kayaks -give yourself space to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are seeing the light, then better times are indeed arriving. Prayers for you as you continue to move toward healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart. You certainly have had your hands full for sure... I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's death... I had wondered where you were and what you were doing these days. Have missed you.

    I hope you can get the condo sold soon and get that off of your plate.. Are you the only child? Guess that is why it all falls on you... Bless you my friend.

    Take care and try to find some time to get out in the Kayak.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry that you had a tough time and glad that you are starting to see the light again. Take really good care of yourself, my friend.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my dear friend, I am so sorry for all the challenges and loss yo have had. There is so much work to do when a loved one passes and it seems it has all fallen on your shoulders. No wonder you got ill. I am sending you a big hug and I am so sorry these past 11 months have been so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- It is so good to see you here. I am so sorry about all your family troubles. I can relate on so many levels. I lost my only brother to a very fast acting cancer and my father died with Parkinson's Disease and my mother ended up in a full care nursing home at the end of her life. We just never know where life is going to take us, do we? That's probably a good thing. Praying for you to have the strength to carry through with everything. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your visits. Sometimes it seems like it really pours, doesn't it? I helped care for my mother with ALS, then quit my job to care for my father, suffering from leukemia and congestive heart failure he had a severe stroke. I started to think life could return to normal when I had to deal with a horrible family crisis. Last year it was a severe health issue with one of my children. We are strong women and we can get through this! God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for all your losses and there was a time in my life too when I felt like it was just one loss after another....it's amazing how we get through it but we do....for me it was my faith. I'm so sorry I missed this post until just now. Hugs to you and blessings ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I am from Northern Illinois...Hanover, IL and I am STILL trying to get back there....'prettiest town by a dam site'....it is and there is a dam that we used to play under when I was young. You could actually walk under the dam and get to the other side of the river. That corner of WI, IL, and IA is a very pretty part of the country thanks to the glaciers that went through eons ago and great farmland too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This explains your absence. I am so sorry for all of your personal family loses, for your illness and for the grief and darkness you've endured during the past year. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.